As hearing loss that is noise-induced worsens, it can also worsen tinnitus. It is therefore important for tinnitus sufferers to protect their hearing, and earplugs are a potential solution.
I do not recommend standard ear plugs for tinnitus sufferers. They block out all sounds, and this can actually make tinnitus sounds worse. This is because, while wearing regular ear plugs, external sounds no longer mask the sounds of your tinnitus.
This is of course unless you’re wearing normal ear plugs with bone conduction headphones. The ear plugs block out external noise, but whatever you’re playing through the bone conduction headphones mask the tinnitus sounds to provide tinnitus relief.
If bone conduction headphones are not an option, high fidelity or musicians’ earplugs are a great solution. They have special filters that reduce the volume of surrounding sounds, so you can still protect your ears from loud sounds that are damaging while also masking tinnitus.
An added benefit of musicians’ earplugs is that you can also still have conversations and hear and maintain awareness of your surroundings.
Below I’ve reviewed the best musicians’ ear plugs for individuals with tinnitus to consider.
Best Musicians Earplugs
Best overall pick: Eargasm High Fidelity Earplugs
The Eargasm High Fidelity Earplugs are my recommended pick overall for their quality, fit, comfort, and price.
- Up to a 21 reduction in dB noise level
- Available in blue, rainbow, transparent, or Electric Forest theme
- Two different shell sizes, small and standard, included with every order
- Superior quality metallic core attenuation filters (compared to lower quality white fiber cores of many other brands)
- High-quality, hypoallergenic, soft silicone for comfort and durability, prevents itching and pressure pain
- Pull tabs that are twice as long as competing brands to make removal easy
- Comes with protective canister with exterior threading to avoid damage to earplugs (compared to many competitor brands that come with canister lids with interior threading that can damage earplugs)
- Protective canister has a keychain for easy and accessible store
- Canister has a waterproof rubber seal to protect ear plugs from moisture, dust, and debris
- Discreet design also make them the best discreet earplugs out there
- Recommended to replace about once a year
Best high-end pick: dBud High Fidelity Ear Plugs
The dBud High Fidelity Ear Plugs are my “high-end” pick given a key added and unique feature of having two volume settings.
- Volume slider that can switch between two volume settings, -11dB or -24dB
- Ear tip sizes of small, medium, and large included with every order
- Award-winning acoustic filter
- Acoustic mesh controls airflow and attenuation for mid and high frequencies
- Acoustic membranes control attenuation of lower range frequencies
- Acoustic insert for enforcing/reducing frequencies
- Built-in magnets and attachable leash, so the earplugs can be worn around the neck and easily accessed
- Comes with soft, pocket-sized case
Best budget pick: Etymotic Research ER20 High Fidelity Earplugs
The Etymotic Research ER20 High Fidelity Earplugs are my budget pick given their price without compromising too much on quality.
- Approximately 20dB reduction in noise level
- 1 standard size that fits most ear canals
- Reduce sound levels with proprietary tuned resonator and acoustic resistor
- Comes with neck cord and carrying case
- Recommended to replace about every 3-6 months